How To Apply For a Passport For Your Honeymoon Abroad

Planning a honeymoon abroad? Don’t forget your passport! It’s not just a travel document; it’s your key to exploring diverse destinations seamlessly, from romantic getaways to exotic adventures. However, if you’re in the midst of wedding planning, applying for one can seem daunting. Not to worry, though – we’ve got you covered with a comprehensive guide to walk you through every step of the process. To start your application and get even more information, we suggest checking out the U.S. State Department’s website. 

Documents You Need to Apply:

Proof of Citizenship: This could be a certified birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or previous passport.

Proof of Identity: A government-issued ID such as a driver’s license, state ID, or military ID will suffice.

Passport Photo: You’ll need a recent passport-sized photo taken against a plain white background. Many pharmacies, post offices, and photography studios offer this service. Remember to check the State Department’s photo requirements if you’re getting it done elsewhere.

Passport Application Form: Form DS-11 can be filled out online or obtained at a passport acceptance facility.

Steps to Apply

Fill out the form: First things first. Fill out the DS-11 Form – the easiest way is to do it online with their tool and then PRINT IT out but DON’T sign it until you are in front of a passport acceptance agent.

Gather documents: Collect all necessary documents, including proof of citizenship, proof of identity, passport photo, and application form.

Prepare to pay for your passport: You must pay fees for passport services. When applying using Form DS-11, you will pay two separate fees – an application fee and an execution (acceptance) fee. The Department of State doesn’t accept credit or debit, so make sure you have a check or money order to pay for this. Fees may differ depending on what state you live, so refer to the State Department’s page for more info. 

Visit a location in-person to submit your application: If you live in the United States, you must submit your completed application, supporting documents, photo, and fees, in person at a passport acceptance facility. Check with the facility to see if you need to make an appointment. 

Provide proof of citizenship: At your appointment, bring your printed DS–11 form, unsigned, and proof of citizenship. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy.

Wait for Processing: Once submitted, your application will be processed within 4-6 weeks for standard processing or 2-3 weeks if expedited.

Receive Your Passport: Your passport will be mailed to you at the address provided on your application. Make sure to subscribe to e-mail updates so you can track its progress using the provided tracking number.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What if I want to change my name after I get married? Can I apply for a passport with my new name right away?

A: It’s recommended to wait until after your honeymoon or travels before applying for a passport with your new married name. When applying, use your current legal name (maiden name). Afterward, you can submit an amendment form to change your name on your passport. You can continue using your maiden name passport for travel after marriage, but ensure your passport name matches your travel documents.

Q: Can’t I just apply for all of this online?

A: When applying using Form DS-11, you are not eligible to mail in your application or apply online. You must apply in person.

Q: What if I need to renew my passport?

A: If your previous passport was issued when you were 16 or older, you can renew it by mail using Form DS-82. If not, you’ll need to apply in person using Form DS-11.

Remember, your passport is not just a travel document; it’s the start of your journey as spouses, unlocking endless opportunities for adventure and exploration together. To make your honeymoon even more memorable, consider creating a Honeyfund to start funding your travels. You can even add passport fees to your registry, allowing your friends and family to contribute to your exciting adventure!

Leave a Reply