As the US continues to roll out its aggressive vaccination program with the goal of vaccinating all US adults by April 30, 2021, more and more couples are starting to consider booking honeymoon travel. Now, it appears one more roadblock to the Covid-19 honeymoon is removed.
The CDC released news on Friday, April 2, 2021, that “Fully vaccinated people can travel within the United States and do not need COVID-19 testing or post-travel self-quarantine as long as they continue to take COVID-19 precautions while traveling – wearing a mask, avoiding crowds, socially distancing, and washing hands frequently.”
This is great news for couples traveling in the US!
But what about taking an international honeymoon during Covid?
Here’s what being vaccinated means for your 2021 international honeymoon:
- You can travel internationally without getting a Covid-19 test before travel. (Unless your destination still requires it.)
- You do NOT need to self-quarantine when you arrive at your destination or when you return, unless LOCAL restrictions require it, like your destination country or home state or county.
What you still need to do on your honeymoon, even while vaccinated:
- Get a negative Covid-19 test within 48 hours before boarding a flight back to the US (arranged by your destination resort and/or airline).
- Get a negative Covid-19 test 3-5 days after returning from travel.
- Wear a mask during travel*
- Wash hands frequently with soap
- Social distancing
*Many resorts allow you to eat outside and be in/near the pool without a mask.
Even if you’re not vaccinated, there are plenty of honeymoon destinations open to receive travelers! Note they each have their own rules and regulations, so be sure to check the restrictions in your destination country before booking travel.
So where can you go on your 2021 international honeymoon? Here is a list of countries receiving travelers from the US:
- The Bahamas
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- The Maldives
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Turks and Caicos
- UK and other parts of Europe (see next section)
If you’ve got your sights set on Europe, these countries are open for your honeymoon:
- United Kingdom
- Greece (planned in “Spring”)
- Portugal (planned in May)
Honeymoons in France, Italy and other EU countries are expected in summer when most US and EU adults are vaccinated. You can book summer 2021 travel to Europe now. Just be sure to book with no change fees or full refund policies, in case of the unexpected.
The bottom line is pack your bags, loves, it’s time to travel! Be sure to book your honeymoons ASAP (changeable/refundable, of course), as flights and hotels are likely to be fully booked through 2021 as people rush to get out of the house after a year of pandemic boredom.