This entry is from our Expert Guest series where wedding and honeymoon professionals share their best tips on creating memories that last a lifetime.
Purchasing an engagement ring can be a stressful experience, no matter whether you are doing it alone or with your intended. There are so many things to consider here. Of prime importance are color and clarity of a diamond, cut quality, setting shape, the type of metal, your partner’s style, sizing, carat weight, etc.
Of course, it is always difficult to remember so many points; you will have to consider them all while picking out an engagement ring for your beloved one. The tips in this article are meant to help you deal with the procedure with the least stress and agitation.
What to Consider First
Let’s start totally from scratch. The first question is what the initial steps should be. Think about the following:
- Set the budget. Look at your financial situation and compare it with the possible desires of your future fiancé. You must not spend a fortune, but just make sure that purchasing the ring will bring many happy moments to both of you.
- Take her style into account. Look thoroughly at the other jewelry of hers. Which metal she prefers, what kind of design (vintage or modern), whether a new ring will blend with her clothing and accessories – all these things are very important in picking out the best engagement ring. You can also talk to her family or friends who may know much about her tastes and preferences.
- Think about the shape. There are shapes for every personality and character. So, consider whether it should be a classic look with a round brilliant solitaire or, probably, a pear-shaped diamond, or heart-shape or plain oval style. Remember that the shape of the diamond you choose will have to coincide with the setting style.
- Choose between an online vendor and a brick-and-mortar jewelry store. The traditional way of buying an engagement ring is to go to a nearby jewelry store, talk to a jeweler, and pick out an item out of many others. However, online vendors nowadays, such as Diamond Studs, can offer the best selection and quality in the industry.
What You Need to Know about a Diamond
Aside from your fiancée’s preferences and your budget, there are some other considerations about the ring itself:
- The four C’s – Cut, Carat, Color, and Clarity – should be considered thoughtfully. The quality and beauty of a diamond will differ much due to these metrics.
- The setting metal – white gold, rose gold, yellow gold, or platinum – will affect much the entire look of the ring. The least expensive of them all is white gold, and it requires less cleaning and maintenance efforts. Though, you may prefer platinum to make the ring look more sophisticated.
- The shape and design of the setting matter much for matching your fiancée-to-be’s personality and lifestyle. If she is an elegant and womanish lady, she might prefer a traditional solitaire design. Or if she follows an active lifestyle, think about a bezel or flush setting to make the diamond flatter yet not protrude so as to interfere with daily living.
- Getting her right size is vitally important, especially if you do not purchase a ring together, and you want to make your proposal a surprise. Make such a secret inquiry beforehand by measuring another ring from her collection. You can use a free ring sizer as well.
- Getting the right certificate will spare you of many issues. Always ask for a lab certification to make sure that the diamond you are going to buy has all the characteristics which are advertised. Refer to the most reliable laboratory in the industry (for example, the GIA or AGS).
In conclusion, it is worth emphasizing that purchasing an engagement ring need not be stressful. If you apply the tips above, you are sure to know in advance what you are looking for. They will also help you avoid many pitfalls and traps accompanying this choice.
Your future fiancé will be pleasantly surprised with your attention to her wants, needs, and features. Your love will last forever if you continue focusing on her beauty by purchasing the most suitable and valuable gifts for her further on.
Help finance your wedding dreams with a Honeyfund honeymoon registry.