Thanks for joining us today on #weddingwednesday, Honeyfund’s Periscope show for all things wedding tips, cocktails crafts, DIY and budget!
This week’s #WeddingWednesday was all things Fall. This is such a festive time of year, a great time to hold a wedding and other parties. We love that so many couples choose this time of year for their nuptials, not only is it a beautiful time of year it is often a more affordable option and we are all about getting more bang for our buck!
Signature Cocktail: “The Pumpkin Martini”
For our signature cocktail this week we have a pumpkin martini this is a delicious way to celebrate a Fall wedding or any other celebration of the season, think Halloween, Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving.” It’s also a quick alternative if you’re in the mood for eggnog. This cocktail is simple, rich and delicious:
Vodka (2 parts)
Kaluha Pumpkin Spice (1 part)
Heavy Whipping Cream (1 part)
Optional: Cinnamon, nutmeg for topping
- Shake all ingredients with ice in a shaker
- Pour into glass, top with whipped cream
- Get festive!
Wedding DIY: Fall Floating Candle Centerpiece
This week’s DIY project is also a reflection of this amazing season. One of the fun things about a Fall celebration is being incorporate a little bit of nature and the changing season into party/wedding decor. Our simple floating candle centerpiece is a great example of that, both beautiful and cost effective.
Large open top vase(s)
Fruit to fill the vase(s)
- Fill the vase with your chosen filler
- Fill with water
- Float the candle
- Create amazing ambiance for your wedding or party!
We used vases we already had, but they can be purchased inexpensively at craft stores and sometimes even the Dollar Store.
Today we used apples for one centerpiece and oranges for the other, the options really are limitless. Depending on the season or the color scheme of your event you can choose a perfect filler to accent your party.
Wedding Budget Tip: The Wedding Savings Account
Sara’s financial tip this week was all about saving for your wedding. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your local bank and open a joint Wedding Savings Account with your sweetie! This bank account will only have one purpose between now and your wedding: taking in money toward your wedding fund.
- Figure out your Wedding Budget: aka how much you are willing to spend on your wedding.
- How much do you already have toward the wedding? Add your savings, gifts from family, all sources of funds that will pay for your wedding.
- Subtract #3 from #2. This is your Savings Goal, or how much you need to save! Let’s say it’s $10,000.
- Next, divide your savings goal by the number of months until your wedding. Let’s say it’s 10 months. That’s $1000/month.
- Now, divide that $1000 by two people. So you each need to save $500/month for the next 10 months.
- Finally, go to your HR department and ask for a new Direct Deposit form. The form should allow you to add a second bank account and specify an amount to go to that account. So in our example, you’ll each divert $500/month (or $250/paycheck if you get paid twice/month) to your wedding savings account.
In our example above, in ten months you’ll have saved $10,000!! Pretty sweet! Feel free to make it your own. Maybe you make totally different salaries so one will save more than the other. Maybe your time to wedding is shorter or longer, just adjust accordingly. The math is the same.
If you missed the episode, catch the full replay here!
-Sara & Caitie